The trust's patient safety programme strategy was launched during patient safety week in October 2014 and has since been further developed in line with the national . As part of the campaign, we have pledged to:
- put safety first
- maintain organisational learning
- encourage honest transparency with patients, staff and the public
- be supportive when errors occur
- collaborate internally and externally to participate in innovative approaches.
We will measure and monitor safety using the following metrics, to get a comprehensive picture of our whole organisation’s safety:
- Past harm: this encompasses both psychological and physical measures.
- Reliability: this is defined as ‘failure free operation over time’ and applies to measures of behaviour, processes and systems.
- Sensitivity to operations: the information and capacity to monitor safety on an hourly or daily basis.
- Anticipation and preparedness: the ability to anticipate and be prepared for problems.
- Integration and learning: the ability to respond to and improve from safety information.